What is OYAP?
- OYAP is a School to Work program that opens the door for students to explore and work
in apprenticeship careers starting in Grade 11 or Grade 12 through the cooperative
- Students can become registered apprentices and work towards becoming certified
journeypersons in a skilled trade while completing their secondary school diplomas.
- Students must be enrolled as a full-time student throughout the program, be at least 16
years of age, have completed 16 credits and be working towards the completion of all
- Placements allow students to acquire hours and skills toward the total hours required for
that particular apprenticeship, reducing post-secondary qualification time and ease the
transition from school to work.
- Hands-on learning experience and application of classroom theory to the workplace are
the focus while increasing the students’ awareness of workplace demands, employability
skills and the network for future employment.
Programs which may be offered include:
- Automotive Service Technician
OYAP applications and interviews occur in April & May of the student’s grade 11 year.
The OYAP Program takes place in Semester 2 of the student’s final year.
For more information contact the Cooperative Education Department or visit the Ministry of Education website: https://www.ontario.ca/page/prepare-apprenticeship